Wednesday, September 7, 2022

The Lesson of the Hummingbird

This morning while playing outside. the Littles noticed a couple of hummingbirds. Each of the birds wanted to take a drink from my feeder but was too selfish to share. They spent all morning buzzing by the feeder then chasing the other away.  I explained to the Littles that the birds were both very hungry but because they would not share, neither got to eat. I told them, "Don't be a hummingbird!"  Looks like that's going to be our new phrase when the Littles wont share.

DON'T BE A HUMMINGBIRD!

















Funny Little Story

Child "B" (2 years, 3 months) is very interested in the hummingbirds particularly because we see them every day and with the feeder on the deck over the play yard, they come very very close to us. This morning she asked me where the birds are. I told her I had already seen one and it'll come back. Just listen for the sound of its wings and watch the feeder I reminded her. Sure enough, the bird came and went and came and went. Then a look of alarm washed over B's face. Her eyes bulged and her shoulders rose to her ears. B took baby steps towards me but kept her eye on the feeder. Then it hit me. A motorcycle was idling in the neighbor's driveway! 

It's moments like this when I remember why I love my job!

No comments: